Even after getting aged, some people like to live an independent life, of which most of them prefer to stay back at home. But the fact is seniors are putting themselves at risk of injuries and other emergencies by living alone. According to the CDC, 25% of adults fall each year, and 1 out of 5 falls, causing severe injuries like broken bones, stroke, trauma, etc. And if you are a working son/daughter leaving your senior parents alone at home, you would probably be anxious about any unforeseen emergency or odd events.
Things to look for while buying a medical alert device?
It is estimated that adult children purchase medical alert devices for their aged parents. If you fall under this category, you need to consider certain things before buying a medical alert system. Below are some things to look for when purchasing a medical alert system.
- Two-way voice feature – make sure that the device you buy has a two-way voice feature. This is an absolute must as it will allow your loved one to speak to the medical alert system’s operators hands-free. With a two-way voice feature, they can then communicate their needs, and the operator can help keep your loved one assured and calm during their emergency.
- A waterproof call button is essential so that your loved one can notify even when they are in the bathroom or shower. Most of the older adults slip and fall in the toilet or when at the bathtub.
- Medication reminder – a medical alert device that has a medication reminder lets to remind your aged parent to take their medication at certain times during the day, even if they forget or you get stuck at work.
- Call button – a medical alert device for rescue is a reassuring feature to have if your loved one misplaces the button they usually wear.
- Fall detection sensor – this is one of the most common add-on features as it helps instantly to let you know that your dear one is at risk of an emergency.
Philips Lifeline – the AARP recommended medical alert system
Philips Lifeline is the only medical alert device that is AARP recommended among the AARP’sAARP’s list of companies offering discounts to AARP members.
Philips Lifeline is an easy to use medical alert system that lets you seek help at any time of day or night – even if you can’t speak. All you need to do is press that medical alert button, worn as a wristband or pendant. The moment you press the alert button, a trained care specialist will make sure that you get the required help as soon as possible. Philips Lifeline medical alert device not just provides you medical alert notifications, but also lets you sleep in peace.
How do medical alert devices work?
Medical alert devices like Philips Lifeline come with innovative solutions and tools designed to safeguard and surround your elderly loved ones with the right response, care, and services at the right time.
- With home options, medical alert systems fit every lifestyle at the press of a button. Seniors have 24/7 access to trained care specialists who connect them to the support they need. The interactions with Philips Lifeline are visible to their caregivers through Philips Cares that help in the seniors’seniors’ general well-being.
- Many medical alert systems come with subscription plans so that once you subscribe to Philips Lifeline services, you can then download the Philips Cares app. This app’s highlight is its care circle, where there is a network created by inviting the family and friends who actively participate in your loved one’sone’s care. The app also shares notes and messages about care needs – all within the same digital platform.
- Medical alert systems work on personalized care plans. Depending on the emergency, seniors can specify the type of help they will receive – whether they need a family member, a neighbor, or emergency services.
- A medical alert device should be the one that provides 24/7 access to the seniors. And that’s why for every solution, there is direct access to the response center where trained care specialists are available at the click of a button.
- Staying updated is essential while using a medical alert system like getting access to updates from the care circle, information about the service, details about the personalized care plan, etc.
Automatic fall detection in medical alert devices
These days, the personal emergency alert devices come with AutoAlert fall detection technology that has been designed to detect falls accurately. It also allows the seniors to connect for help in an instant way, even if they couldn’t press the button. AutoAlert is one of the best innovative solutions designed in medical alert devices to detect seniors’ falls and slips.
How does the AutoAlert system work in a medical alert device?
- Accelerometers – these are sensors that measure a high acceleration force when a fall occurs.
- Barometric sensors are highly sensitive sensors that detect even a minimal change in barometric pressure, such as one from a standing position to lying on the floor.
- Programmed algorithm – finely programmed algorithm differentiates between actual falls and false alerts, so Philips Lifeline is one of the top, and AARP recommended medical alert devices to the rescue.
When a fall is detected, the AutoAlert instantly connects to the response center, even if you are unconscious or unable to move. The two-way voice communication capability enables you to speak directly with one of their highly trained response associates. They talk with you, analyze the situation and dispatch the help you need. Of the response associate is unable to connect to you, they may default to calling emergency services.
Fall detection pendant – the perfect medical alert device to the rescue
When you or a loved one needs emergency assistance after a fall, every second count. Even if the fall itself doesn’t cause an injury, lying on the floor for an extended period can cause serious health issues like
- Muscle necrosis
- Pressure ulcers
Benefits of medical alert systems
Medical alert devices act as a crucial life-saving tool in assisting seniors in vulnerable life moments. In case of an emergency like an accident, fall, or sudden illness at home, these devices greatly help and value. The key benefits of a medical alert system include:
- Instant help when you need it – the primary purpose of a personal emergency alert system is to get the right support at the right time. That being said, medical alert systems are monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This guarantees assistance you want and need, even if it doesn’t require a medical treatment.
- Easy to use – AARP recommended medical alert devices are easy to use and typically worn on the wrist or around the neck. They come with an open two-way communication channel at the press of a button. The wearable devices may be the easiest to use as you won’t have to go to another room to seek help. This means that seniors don’t have to shout or ring the phone to seek help. Once you activate the system, you can talk to someone at a call center who will ask questions and get you the right kind of service you need.
- Easy to afford – medical alert systems in their introduction phases were so expensive that many people couldn’t access them. Now with better technology and more advanced features, these devices are far more affordable.
- Variety of options – when medical emergency alert systems were launched, they came with limited options. Now, these systems are available in the form of necklaces, bracelets, and pendants that can be used while swimming, bathing, on the go, and more. Others have GPS in them, making it easy for the family members to locate you in an emergency quickly.
- Peace of mind – it is common for people getting aged to fall or slip and develop a fear of falling. This fear can break their confidence and spirit of independence. When seniors limit movement, their mobility, and balance declines. This increases the risk of falling. With the help of a medical alert system, both the seniors and their family members get peace of mind.
Medical alert systems and devices are more than just a communication device. For seniors, they act as a link for help that they need when they need it the most. While there’s no way to prevent an accident or injury entirely, you can use these medical alert devices to make sure that your loved one can get the help that they need in an emergency. Medical alert systems are great for those who want the security of around the clock emergency assistance. With the confidence gained from knowing that help is available, many seniors can stay at home alone longer. Also, Family1st device allows seniors to live with independence in their preferred environment. Its okay that you have work and cant’ stay back with your elderly loved one at home, but with these high-end devices, you can be notified and help them at the right time of emergency.