GPS trackers have become synonymous with safety and efficiency. Whether business or personal tracking, these trackers have made it easier to keep our assets and loved ones safe. However, you are reading this blog about removing a GPS tracker from a car. So we can assume that you have a substantial reason for doing so.
- You want to upgrade/repair your tracker.
- You want to use the tracker for another/new car.
- You have no idea how the tracker got in your car in the first place.
In the first two cases, you already know the type of tracker and where you can find it. However, if you are a victim of illegal tracking, you might need to vet through every nook and corner. And if you cannot find it, we advise getting expert help.
Types of GPS tracker
Here, we take you through different types of GPS trackers and how you can remove them from your vehicle. We list all the details below.
Magnetic trackers are one of the best GPS devices and are easy to use. They have in-built magnets or come with a separate magnetic case. Installation is simple. You have to place it on a metallic surface, and done! Similarly, uninstalling these trackers is also straightforward. You need to remove them from the surface. The best places to install such trackers are under the car or inside the wheel well. So, if you need to find a discreet magnetic GPS tracker, ensure to double-check all the metallic surfaces – inside and outside – of a car.
Plug-in tracking is a premium GPS Plug-in vehicle tracking system. It uses a small tracking device that plugs directly into the OBD II port, located under the steering wheel of your car. Mechanics and service technicians also use this port to run diagnostic codes. That’s why the Plug-in GPS tracking devices also offer diagnostic reports along with location tracking. These are very easy to install.
Sometimes the OBD ports are located under the car’s dashboard, where the driver positions their legs. Plugging in a GPS tracker closer to the pedals can make driving uncomfortable. So, there are OBD extension cables available. Using the same, you can reposition the GPS tracking and position it to a safer location like the vehicle’s dashboard. Once you plug it in and activate it through the companion app, you are all set to start tracking.
As far as removing these GPS trackers is concerned, you need to locate them unplug the device. The plug-and-play devices work when plugged in the car and not when it disconnects. It is easy to disable it. Also, the devices have an internal antenna and battery to keep sending the signals. When the same is unplugged, it sends an alert to the owner.
Hardwired GPS Tracker
As the name suggests, hardwired GPS trackers are directly wired in the system and derive power from the engine. These are difficult to install and remove and need expert help. And because of this reason, it is difficult to tamper or manipulate them. However, the wired tracking devices operate using a battery and antenna, through which they can send alerts when any tampering occurs. A wired GPS tracker also enables you to remotely disable the car’s ignition if it senses a security violation, which does not happen in the case of plug-in devices.
Most people prefer hardwired GPS trackers over others for two main reasons –
- They connect to the engine battery and do not require recharging.
- They are safely hidden inside the car, making them inaccessible.
If you want to remove a hardwired GPS tracker from a car, the best option is to ask your local auto repair mechanic to help you out. They will ensure that the tracker is uninstalled properly and is viable for further use.
How to remove the GPS tracker from the car?
We have already discussed the various types of GPS trackers for cars and how you can install or uninstall them. Removing portable or plug-and-play trackers is easy. So let us see how you can uninstall a hardwired GPs tracker without damaging your car and the tracking device.
Find the device
Well, if you installed it, you know where it is. But if you suspect foul play, you first need to locate the device in your car. Here are some ways to look for it:
- Open the underside of your dash and find if something is out of place.
- Find any new wiring or additional electrical tape.
- Also, look for the wires that are different in thickness or color compared to the ones already there.
- Check for the wires that go to the roof of the car.
- Then, you may see a plastic device with a suitable thickness with two wires connecting the same to the ignition wires.
- Now, remove the electrical tape and zips from the area, but we are wary not to break the thin wires. If you are not careful, you will end up damaging the thin wires of the car.
Find the Components
There may be different wires.
- One of the wires could be the GPS antenna. You can follow the wire to the top of your car and remove it the same.
- The next one could be the GSM antenna, next to the GPS antenna.
- One of the wires can be the red wire on the ignition so that the device keeps receiving the power and the battery keeps getting charged.
- There can be wires in the vehicle ground.
- It is also possible that there are two relay wires to the ignition.
Remove the wires and device
Now is the time to remove the cable from your car battery. It is not tough to remove the components. You need to disconnect the antennas at the receiver and pull the GPS antenna. Bring the car back to its best form.
Now that you have successfully removed the device from the vehicle, you need to reconnect all the ignition wires and put back the components in their original place. It would help if you connected all the wires back together.
The person who installed the GPS tracker device in your car might have damaged the wires. If you have located the damage, then remove it and reconnect it. Now the only way to ensure that you haven’t messed up is to try and start your car. If it starts, you did everything right!
Upgrade your car security with Family1st Portable GPS tracker
GPS tech has proven to be efficient in keeping your valuable car safe from theft. Some advanced tracking solutions like Family1st GPS trackers also offer several add-ons that assist you in better driving, regular maintenance, fuel usage, and insurance costs. So whatever your reason was for removing the existing GPS tracker, you must consider getting the Portable GPS tracker from Family1st.
Here is a quick look at the features of this tracker:
- It is compact, lightweight, and portable, making it easy to hide and install. As it is portable, you can use it to track several assets or even your loved ones.
- The device costs only $29.95 with a monthly subscription of $21.95. There is no contract. You can cancel and activate your tracking solution whenever you want – NO HIDDEN CHARGES
- The tracker offers location data in real-time, backed by 2-week-long battery life.
- The device comes with multi-connectivity features. It has a 4G network SIM and can integrate with WiFi for indoor tracking.
- You can integrate the GPS device with Alexa and use voice commands to access data and reports on any of your screens.
- Family1st offers a lifetime warranty on all its tracking devices. You also get unbridled access to top-notch 24/7 customer service – all around the year.
If you are still undecided, here are some ways the Family1st portable GPS tracker can assist you:
- All our devices come with a companion app that you can download on any iOS and Android device. For example, if you have our GPS tracker in your teen’s car, you and your spouse can check up on it through your phones.
- Our solution also has the Geofence feature, through which you can create virtual boundaries around places you deem safe or unsafe. For your car’s safety, you can make a safe zone around every place you park it. Whenever your vehicle moves inside or leaves these safe zones, you get an alert.
- If your spouse or a family member borrows your car to travel within the USA or to Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands, Family1st Portable GPS tracker has your car’s back. Our 4G connectivity ensures location tracking through all the above countries.
- Our GPS tracker is also one of the leading personal trackers in the USA and is known for the best security features. We also offer aggressive tracking in case of theft or emergency, enabling faster recovery of your car. So, your auto-insurer might give you a discount on premiums.
Family1st portable GPS tracker is easy to install. It comes with a magnetic case that you can use to attach the tracker to a metallic surface. One of the best reasons to buy our portable tracker is that it is versatile – you can track assets, people, and pets with a single tracker – one at a time.
And if you ever need to remove it from your car, you can always contact our customer care and get all the assistance you need.